[OSM-talk] Living where there be dragons

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 29 07:52:34 BST 2007

Gregory/LastGrape wrote:
>Sent: 29 June 2007 1:17 AM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: [OSM-talk] Living where there be dragons
>

>Come September I'm going to be moving up to Durham for 3 years, and it
>is fairly unmapped at the moment so a good reason for me to move there.
>I was wondering about how it be in an area I don't know and build the
>OSM map over time then I thought of this...
>
>What if I lived refusing myself to use any map other than OSM, which is
>practically blank in current state. I would have to go some where, map
>and trace it, before I could know where it was or how to get there. I
>could keep a diary/blog for my progress and stress to be recorded and
>certain rules would be laid down for the experiment.
>Such as allowing for other people to help me with the mapping if I get
>them onboard, so I would be telling new friends about OSM and asking to
>help me out. Perhaps I would even be allowed to arrange a mapping event
>but not start any planning of it until I was there (to guarantee I'm
>mappless for some time).
>
>It's a bit of a crazy idea, and I would like to think it wouldn't
>interfere with my social life at the start (e.g. "er can you tell me the
>lat/lon for that house party?"), the first week I may be too busy with
>"university activities" to actually start mapping too, but I thought I'd
>propose the idea and hopefully get some feedback on if it's
>interesting/worth it!
>
>Would you dare do it? Would you like to see someone else dare?
> From Gregory

Go for it Gregory, and if you tell the press that's what you are doing (and
give them periodic updates) you might get someone up there interested in
following the story for a wider audience too. Think you would need to be
pretty pedantic about it though.

It should not be a particularly scary proposition. Any new place has a
certain mystery, even with a map in hand, getting around without one will
probably be a lot easier than you think and the fact that you will only have
your senses to guide you means that your initial mapping will produce some
interesting results.

Best of luck with it all.

Cheers

Andy