[OSM-talk] Osm at Home client update

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Mar 2 21:46:33 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:27:03PM +0100, J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> With the help of Barry Crabtree the bugs involving attempted beziercurve
> hinting of zero length segments has been squashed.
>
> New Osm at Home client uploaded to SVN.
> Wiki page for Osm at Home updated with installation instructions.
>
> Changelog for the osm at Home client :
> Updated to use osmarender4
> changed download of osmarender + stylesheets to point at SVN
> changed downloadrate of osmarender+stylesheet so it happens at the start
> of a run, not for each data download.
> implemented beziercurve hinting by calling dotbaz's lines2curves.pl script.
> implemented sanitycheck in case beziercurve hinting fails, and fallback
> to non-beziercurve rendering in that case.
>
> OSM at Home renderers should upgrade immediately.
>
> Future plans :
> Tweak stylesheet during this weekend.
> implement beziercurvehinting for Tiles at Home client as well this weekend.

While I agree that we want bezier curves, I don't like the approach with
using the lines2curves.pl post processing. This makes the whole thing very
fragile. Every change in Osmarender to any path code can possibly break
lines2curces.pl. Makes maintainance very hard. And the path code *will*
change, because there are many problems with it.

There has to be a better way of doing this! We had begun to talk about
pre-processing the OSM file before calling Osmarender and that looked
like a possible solution. Why has this way of doing things been rushed
into production now?

Jochen