[OSM-talk] Frustration of an experienced mapper

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:16:32 GMT 2007

On 3/3/07, Christoph Eckert <ce at christeck.de> wrote:
> > There's was some work on bezier curves. It would be nice to be able
> > to mark a curve "bezier=yes" or "cubicspline=yes" and make nice
> > smooth roads with very few points.
>
> isn't it a workaround? I'd prefer to have true polylines in the
> database. I'm not familiar with the maths of Bezier curves, but a
> polyline containing lines and cirular segments already would help a
> lot.

Sure, being able to make lines and curves directly would be cool, but
if you don't mind I really don't feel like making nice curves out of
all my ways. I'd rather just have the renderer make then all smooth
for me.

To make nice smooth roads by hand would necessetate add lots of
control points to the DB. Doing it in the renderer makes it automatic.
I just wanted to be able to flag roads as needing it yes/no to
override the automatic system (in case you really do want hard edges
on your almost-straight roads).

Have a nice day,