[OSM-talk] Frustration of an experienced mapper

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Tue Mar 6 22:30:43 GMT 2007

Hi Martijn,

> Sure, being able to make lines and curves directly would be cool, but
> if you don't mind I really don't feel like making nice curves out of
> all my ways. I'd rather just have the renderer make then all smooth
> for me.

I feel the same for existing ways. I'd not change mine as well. But if
there was a cool tool I'd use it for new ones.

> To make nice smooth roads by hand would necessetate add lots of
> control points to the DB.

I doubt that. What I'm wond'ring is if the data model one day will
include poylines. An arc consists of three points only, start, end and
center. How many nodes do we need currently to get a smooth display in
the editor? Much more, I guess.

> Doing it in the renderer makes it
> automatic. I just wanted to be able to flag roads as needing it
> yes/no to override the automatic system (in case you really do want
> hard edges on your almost-straight roads).

Sigh. In my next life I want to become a Java hacker and to develop a
cool easy to use polyline tool for JOSM ;-) .

ce