[OSM-talk] Tiles at Home client update

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Sun Mar 4 07:38:34 GMT 2007

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 12:25:10AM +0100, J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> Kristian Thy skrev:
> > On Fri, Mar 02, J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> >> New verion of the Tiles at Home client uploaded to SVN.
> >>
> >> Includes Bezier curve hinting of ways, just like in the Osm at Home client.
> >> T at H renderers are urged to upgrade.
> >> Remember that you MUST install the Math::Vec perl module, in order to
> >> use the new client.
> >
> > There seem to be some origin errors with the new curves:
> > http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Tiles/tile.php/12/2185/1282.png
> >
> > \\kristian
>
> We found the culprit who shall remain unamed (Just buy me a couple of
> beers at SOTM sxpert.. :D), who generated the bad renderings,
> Looks like there's an issue with Gentoo on AMD64 boxes. Bad mathlibs,
> rounding errors in the underlying routines called by Math::Vec, or
> something of that kind.
> So far it seems that only Gentoo AMD64 boxes are affected. No errors on
> Ubuntu AMD64 boxes (and probably not on any other Debian deriatived
> AMD64 distros).
>
> I've changed the Bangkok client to include a config option "NoBezier"
> which when set to 1 in the tiles at home.conf file will render without the
> beziercurve hinting.
>
> If you are using Gentoo on an AMD64 architecture, please upgrade to SVN
> revison 2200.
> Other users do not need to upgrade, unless they want to render without
> bezier curve hinting.

Do I understand this correctly: There is now an option in tiles at home
deciding whether you want to render with or without bezier curves. And
every client can decide which rendering he wants. So some clients will
render their pieces of the map differently from others leading to
problems at tiles boundaries and to strange "yesterday it looked
different" problems.

Or did I misunderstand you? What does that option do?

Jochen