[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Simon Hewison simon at zymurgy.org
Mon Mar 5 12:35:37 GMT 2007

Francisco R. Santos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any common scheme for tagging urban streets? I mean, it's clear
> that the "Champs Elysèe" is a "main" street in Paris, and "La
> Castellana" is a "main" street in Madrid, so how should they be tagged:
> trunk, primary? How about other not so clearly "main" streets? Is there
> something like "4 lanes in the same direction is trunk, 2 or 3 is
> primary", or is every mapper using his own criteria?

It appears that in France, the route numbering stops inside big cities
(especially Paris), so while the N13 (which I would classifiy as
highway=trunk) approaches Paris in the direction of Avenue des Champs
Élysées, the road numbering seems to stop at the Pérephérique at Porte Maillot.

Personally, I would use highway=primary;lanes=4 for Avenue des Champs
Élysées. It's a very wide road, and we've got Napoleon to thank for that one.

It seems that the N15 retains its route number right through Rouen, so it
looks like the Government of France have different rules for Paris than the
rest of France.

In the UK, it's reasonably easy, since most roads are given a designation by
national or local government, even within towns.

I'm not sure about Spain. I've never been there.

--
Simon Hewison