[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon Mar 5 12:51:20 GMT 2007

Francisco R. Santos wrote:

> I think I didn't fully explain.
>
> I know there is a general scheme for *roads* outside towns, but
> what I want to ask is if there is a general scheme *inside* towns.
> That is, what is the general rule for mapping, for example,
> downtown London streets?

In the UK, you'd use the same principle both outside and in, surely?
How the roads are classified is up to the highway authority.

FWIW, in central London, all "primary A" (i.e. OSM trunk) roads
terminate at a loop formed by the Euston Road, Edgware Road, Park
Lane etc. etc. (the old Congestion Charge boundary, I think). So
anything within that will be "non-primary A" (OSM primary), B (OSM
secondary) or unclassified.

cheers
Richard