[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Francisco R. Santos frsantos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 13:08:49 GMT 2007

On 3/5/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> Francisco R. Santos wrote:
>
> > I think I didn't fully explain.
> >
> > I know there is a general scheme for *roads* outside towns, but
> > what I want to ask is if there is a general scheme *inside* towns.
> > That is, what is the general rule for mapping, for example,
> > downtown London streets?
>
> In the UK, you'd use the same principle both outside and in, surely?
> How the roads are classified is up to the highway authority.
>
> FWIW, in central London, all "primary A" (i.e. OSM trunk) roads
> terminate at a loop formed by the Euston Road, Edgware Road, Park
> Lane etc. etc. (the old Congestion Charge boundary, I think). So
> anything within that will be "non-primary A" (OSM primary), B (OSM
> secondary) or unclassified.

Ok, we are getting to the point. Among the 3 above (primary, secondary,
unclassified), which one should I choose for **streets**, not *roads*? Am I
confusing the terms? Sorry if I misunderstund these two terms, I'm not
native english. What I mean for street is something [1], compared to a road
[2]. Streets are not classified by any highway authority, as far as I know.

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street
[2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road

cheers