[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Mon Mar 5 15:41:37 GMT 2007

There is also highway=service, which can be used for urban roads
only/primarily used for vehicular access to buildings. [2] below may
fall into that category. I'd be surprised to find a road like [1] in the
UK that was not formally classified as primary or trunk, and would be
tempted to tag it as primary. (on the other hand I'd be surprised to
find such a big road with so few cars on it in the UK)

Rob

________________________________

From: Francisco R. Santos [mailto:frsantos at gmail.com]
Sent: 05 March 2007 15:31
To: Robert Hart
Cc: Richard Fairhurst; talk @ openstreetmap. org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

On 3/5/07, Robert Hart <Robert.Hart at burohappold.com> wrote:

As with most English words, usage is pretty broad, and both terms could
probably be applied to the majority of streets/roads.

To me though, a "street" implies a linear entity with buildings arranged

along it, normally houses, and normally on both sides.

A "road" implies a linear entity that vehicles can pass along, normally
including cars.

OK, it's a more general word than I thought. Sorry, for the
misunderstanding.

	As far as OSM tagging is concerned the only difference is that
	highway=unclassified tends to become highway=residential for
	unclassified "streets".

So, the only difference between [1] and [2] is the tag "lanes=" ? Is
this small information sufficient for map rendering and/or navigation
systems?

	This distinction is slightly contentious, and
	there are some that would prefer the properties/classification
of a road
	to be tagged independently of its usage.

On 3/5/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> In short: if you don't have any evidence that it's a classified road,
use highway=tertiary (for the biggest streets), highway=unclassified
(for everything else), or highway=pedestrian (for pedestrianised road).

mmm, only big streets or everything else. I miss some urban
classification the way "highway" does: for example, urban=primary,
urban=secondary, urban=residential...

[1]:
http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=XHI2yGfU9OoT8TRmVoWo
lKpiMP91PJQVcLyG9a1UJfY9XrUtQMOpmJHMbXneQoYWY5XQniq5bkXIYSEvJYkHSH0pKIxa
4e6IeTObAzLbfqavdWD44ypB+5Kp9ENri9UeAhw4+kemz2MVHu3r96DqIp5eyvFbTbC2BQvx
lHFLtP+lk7pcm/HHDw==
[2]:
http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=XHI2yGfU9OoT8TRmVoWo
lKpiMP91PJQVcLyG9a1UJfb8mG40oUXwV3gigpJRR95bRC6QtA2ltbPZ/36fbDMQHhe6FRgO
kvOYdzNpqzoiSpdn6fK40aC20ys9uOcHG1rRoz8yZlWu3iSD4uJ9SEImnMwwvl0OpjZiyHKW
5jhlUUIT+0FNj3JBRg==

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com