[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Francisco R. Santos frsantos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:08:34 GMT 2007

On 3/5/07, Robert Hart <Robert.Hart at burohappold.com> wrote:

>  There is also highway=service, which can be used for urban roads
> only/primarily used for vehicular access to buildings. [2] below may fall
> into that category.

I'd not tag it as service, since you can go from one street to other through
this one. Many of these street have shops, access to public parkings, and a
few even to theaters!...

> I'd be surprised to find a road like [1] in the UK that was not formally
> classified as primary or trunk, and would be tempted to tag it as primary.
> (on the other hand I'd be surprised to find such a big road with so few cars
> on it in the UK)

[1] is one of the main arteries of Madrid, "Cea Bermúdez", one in a number
of the main streets of Madrid I was referring, and is not classified as any
of the above.

The photo may  have been taken on vacations, probably August. You should see
it in rush hour: lots of cars stuck in *every* lane. Horrible. Well, you
know, rush hour.

Rob