[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Dave osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 16:20:45 GMT 2007

On 05/03/07, Francisco R. Santos <frsantos at gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as OSM tagging is concerned the only difference is that
> > highway=unclassified tends to become highway=residential for
> > unclassified "streets".
>

> So, the only difference between [1] and [2] is the tag "lanes=" ? Is this
> small information sufficient for map rendering and/or navigation systems?

Probably not with the current renderers.
In the UK this is very clear: that large a road would nearly always be
classified as a primary or trunk road.

I'd be tempted to specify this as a trunk road. It's clearly a major road
(even if empty at the time the photo was taken), even if the general
administrative classes don't apply in towns in spain. I think that's the
basic idea of highway classification... trunk implies major road. Obviously
routing software needs more information than that... but I have the feeling
that when routing on OSM becomes possible at all there will need to be a lot
of tweaking.