[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Francisco R. Santos frsantos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 15:30:39 GMT 2007

On 3/5/07, Robert Hart <Robert.Hart at burohappold.com> wrote:

> As with most English words, usage is pretty broad, and both terms could
> probably be applied to the majority of streets/roads.
>
> To me though, a "street" implies a linear entity with buildings arranged
> along it, normally houses, and normally on both sides.
>
> A "road" implies a linear entity that vehicles can pass along, normally
> including cars.

OK, it's a more general word than I thought. Sorry, for the
misunderstanding.

As far as OSM tagging is concerned the only difference is that
> highway=unclassified tends to become highway=residential for
> unclassified "streets".

So, the only difference between [1] and [2] is the tag "lanes=" ? Is this
small information sufficient for map rendering and/or navigation systems?

This distinction is slightly contentious, and

On 3/5/07, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
> In short: if you don't have any evidence that it's a classified road, use
highway=tertiary (for the biggest streets), highway=unclassified (for
everything else), or highway=pedestrian (for pedestrianised road).

mmm, only big streets or everything else. I miss some urban classification
the way "highway" does: for example, urban=primary, urban=secondary,
urban=residential...

[1]:
http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=XHI2yGfU9OoT8TRmVoWolKpiMP91PJQVcLyG9a1UJfY9XrUtQMOpmJHMbXneQoYWY5XQniq5bkXIYSEvJYkHSH0pKIxa4e6IeTObAzLbfqavdWD44ypB+5Kp9ENri9UeAhw4+kemz2MVHu3r96DqIp5eyvFbTbC2BQvxlHFLtP+lk7pcm/HHDw==
[2]:
http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=XHI2yGfU9OoT8TRmVoWolKpiMP91PJQVcLyG9a1UJfb8mG40oUXwV3gigpJRR95bRC6QtA2ltbPZ/36fbDMQHhe6FRgOkvOYdzNpqzoiSpdn6fK40aC20ys9uOcHG1rRoz8yZlWu3iSD4uJ9SEImnMwwvl0OpjZiyHKW5jhlUUIT+0FNj3JBRg==