[OSM-talk] Tiles at Home client update

OJW streetmap at blibbleblobble.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 20:49:52 GMT 2007

Could some people have a chat with Dutch and ask if they can help with the
technical problem, of bezier curves and Math::Vec failing on the
AMD-64/Gentoo system.  I'm a bit worried that the only person who knows the
details is being distracted by debate, especially if it's critical of someone
who actually did a whole load of work to implement something cool.  Technical
help might be more useful if anyone can offer it.

Personally, I'm happy to have non-curved renderers contributing for another
week or so, unless someone can link to a particularly awful example of how
they fail to joinup.   I've opened an RFC as to whether we should keep curves
or not - comments on the talk page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/tiles@home/RFC

In tiles at home, it's easy enough to add a line identifying weird configuration
options, it would be:
#-----------------------------------------------------------
if($Config{NoBezierOrWhateverItsCalled}) {
	$Config{ClientVersion} .= "_nobezier";
}
...which will inform the server, by sending "version=Bangkok_nobezier", in
case we decide to filter it later.

In general, we do want to keep output the same across multiple clients, which
is why a technical solution to the beziers problem would be really useful...

Regards,

OJW