[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Alilo Alilo 3alilo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:29:11 GMT 2007

On 3/5/07, Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivansanchez at escomposlinux.org> wrote:

> El Lunes, 5 de Marzo de 2007 13:35, Simon Hewison escribió:
> > In the UK, it's reasonably easy, since most roads are given a
> designation
> > by national or local government, even within towns.
>
> > I'm not sure about Spain. I've never been there.
>
> Here in Spain, roads are also given designations by the local/national
> goverment, along with pretty colors (on the road signs containing the road
> designation):
>
> Blue = highway
> Red = national-level road = "trunk"
> Orange = 1st local-level road = "primary"
> Green = 2nd local-level road = "secondary"
> Yellow = 3rd local-level road = "tertiary"
>

> However, when most roads enter a city (or village), they lose their
> denomination and color, and gain a street name.

Here in Morocco I am having same problem for tagging urban areas.

Primary/secondary/motorway/trunk are classification for roads outside cities

Inside city roads are called street(زنقة) / Avenue (شارع) same as in Spain
Calle / Avenida or France Rue / Avenue .

For streets I use the unclassified tag , but for the main avenues sometimes
I use primary other times I use secondary , but it is still incorrect,
primary, secondary and trunk are for roads  outside the city , I think that
we need a tag for َAvenue.