[OSM-talk] Tiles at Home client update

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 23:43:00 GMT 2007

On 3/5/07, Scott Walde <scott at waldetech.ca> wrote:
> OJW wrote:
> > Could some people have a chat with Dutch and ask if they can help with
> > the technical problem, of bezier curves and Math::Vec failing on the
> > AMD-64/Gentoo system.  I'm a bit worried that the only person who
> > knows the
>
> In the past, I have had floating-point issues on Debian Sarge with the
> stock Imager::Font::Wrap module on certain processors that were solved
> by recompiling the perl module with a different version of gcc.  Could
> it be a similar problem?  Perhaps even just different optimization might
> help.

Looking at the code it's likely to be a problem where rounding error
causes acos to be passed a number slightly greater than one, so it
returns an imaginary number.

A fix has been applied AIUI, so at least that problem should be fixed.
It was probably caused by overly aggresive optimisation (SSE2 is not
as accurate as standard floating point).

Hopefully it's solved now...

Have a nice day,