[OSM-talk] Tagging urban streets

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 18:30:03 GMT 2007

On 3/6/07, Mike Collinson <mike at ayeltd.biz> wrote:
> Urban road/street mapping Schema:
>
> trunk - reserve for very big arterial ways for getting in and out of the city.

<snip>

One thing is that the names used by the database currently are very UK
specific and are practically meaningless for other places in the
world.

One thing that occured to me was sort of stylesheets for OSM, so each
country could setup their own naming scheme which was then mapped to
underlying tags. For example:

style=nl:unclassified_oneway

would be equivalent to:

oneway=yes
highway=unclassified
cycleway=opposite

These ways are very common in NL, but probably don't occur much
elsewhere. This way each country could setup their own classification
scheme and then a mapping that maps to normal tags.

Then instead of the rest of the world trying to squeeze their
classification into the UK one, each country can have the mappers use
their own, and lets the exact underlying meaning be centrally
controllable.

(Someone famous once said that every problem can be solved by making
an extra layer of indirection :) )

Thoughts?