[OSM-talk] Planet Dump

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 10:40:16 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:27 +0000, Artem Pavlenko wrote:

> > I was about to try setting up PostGIS + Planet + Mapnik on my home
> > system, how much memory does osm2pgsql need?
>
> I run osm2pgsql on my laptop with 512Mb of RAM.  It takes around
> 20-40 min to convert the whole planet.
> Don't forget to pipe planet.osm  through UTF8Sanitize.

What impact do error reports from UTF8Sanitize have on the output XML
file?  With the latest planet.osm I am getting:

$ cat planet-070307.osm | ./svn/utils/planet.osm/C/UTF8sanitize >
planet.osm
Error at line 72505269
Error at line 72583739
chars2: 139176
chars3: 1589
chars4: 0
chars5: 0
chars6: 1
lines : 73468080

Is it safe to continue or do I need to investigate these errors further?

Keith.