[OSM-talk] Planet Dump

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Fri Mar 9 10:59:03 GMT 2007

On 9 Mar 2007, at 10:40, Keith Sharp wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 09:27 +0000, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
>>>
>>> I was about to try setting up PostGIS + Planet + Mapnik on my home
>>> system, how much memory does osm2pgsql need?
>>
>> I run osm2pgsql on my laptop with 512Mb of RAM.  It takes around
>> 20-40 min to convert the whole planet.
>> Don't forget to pipe planet.osm  through UTF8Sanitize.
>
> What impact do error reports from UTF8Sanitize have on the output XML
> file?  With the latest planet.osm I am getting:
>
> $ cat planet-070307.osm | ./svn/utils/planet.osm/C/UTF8sanitize >
> planet.osm
> Error at line 72505269
> Error at line 72583739
> chars2: 139176
> chars3: 1589
> chars4: 0
> chars5: 0
> chars6: 1
> lines : 73468080
>
> Is it safe to continue or do I need to investigate these errors
> further?

I get the same results which is good. I'm not sure if UTF8Sanitizer
actually replaces invalid UTF-8 with something but it is safe to
continue.

BTW, running latest osm2pgsql with latest planet-070307.osm  fails
at osm2pgsql.c:404 (assert)
I just commented out that line and it's still running.  I don't think
that test is correct anyway, Jonb?

Cheers,
Artem