[OSM-talk] Industrial estate roads (tagging question)

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 23:32:28 GMT 2007


On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:25:55PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> Spent the earlier part of the evening mapping an industrial estate filled with 
> scrap metal merchants and the like. The roads in this area were about the 
> same size as residential roads.  How do people generally tag these?
> I tagged them
> highway=service; abutters=industrial
> Is this general practice for this kind of road? Didn't think unclassified was 
> appropriate as they are not used as through roads.

Unclassified does not imply a through road... personally I wouldn't use
highway=service for a public highway. (Tag naming perfectionists, dig into that
one ;-) ).

I tag public roads in industrial estates as highway=unclassified. If they are
private roads, or small roads off into private car parks / etc, then I use
highway=service. For example, all the local university roads on campus I have
tagged highway=service, even though some of them are larger than some
residential roads around here.


More information about the talk mailing list