[OSM-talk] Industrial estate roads (tagging question)

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Sat Mar 10 10:19:20 GMT 2007

On Friday 09 Mar 2007 23:32, you wrote:
> Hi,
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 09:25:55PM +0000, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> > Spent the earlier part of the evening mapping an industrial estate filled
> > with scrap metal merchants and the like. The roads in this area were
> > about the same size as residential roads.  How do people generally tag
> > these?
> >
> > I tagged them
> > highway=service; abutters=industrial
> >
> > Is this general practice for this kind of road? Didn't think unclassified
> > was appropriate as they are not used as through roads.
> Unclassified does not imply a through road... personally I wouldn't use
> highway=service for a public highway. (Tag naming perfectionists, dig into
> that one ;-) ).

I'm not sure about unclassified not implying a through road - that's what's 
generally done in residential areas, through roads are unclassified whilst 
non-through roads are residential.

TBH I think we really need to rename "residential" to something else, to 
indicate the lowest classification of public road, which would cover all of 
residential roads, industrial estate roads and narrow streets in city 
centres. Then "service" could just be used for access roads, and residential 
areas could be labelled with abutters=residential (or residential polygons)


More information about the talk mailing list