[OSM-talk] junction_ref=<whatever>

Robert Hart Robert.Hart at BuroHappold.com
Fri Mar 16 15:56:46 GMT 2007

> The problem about putting it on the ways of the junction is that a
> renderer can't easily put a little black box with a number in it close
> the junction as appears on most motorway maps in the UK, or green in
the
> US etc. It makes rendering this a huge problem which in practice will
just
> not happen. I'm just trying to find a simple, easy to implement way to
> show the junction number on the map.

Tagging should not be driven by current rendering technology/practise.
We've seen several times already that the way we render maps can
completely change overnight.

Mapnik already does some pretty clever stuff with labels, and we are
pretty close now to introducing a pre-processing step to osmarender. It
really isn't that hard for a renderer to say "oh, there's a whole bunch
of ways here with an identical junction name - I'll put a single label
at their centroid instead"

> (God, this is like wading through treacle. It looks very much to me
like
> we're going to do nothing for the sake of not being able to do
everything,
> and miss useful information off the map in doing so).

You think this is bad? Try hanging out on the legal-talk list ;-)
There's nothing wrong with taking a bit of time to carefully consider
the best all round solution.

Rob

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailControl - www.mailcontrol.com