[OSM-talk] geolocating slippy map from IP

Knut Arne Bjørndal bob at cakebox.net
Fri Mar 16 22:11:55 GMT 2007

On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 07:29:15PM +0100, Jonas Svensson wrote:
> Would it be possible to let the slippy map start at the position
> defined by the users IP#? Something like
> <http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch>. I know you rarely get very
> close location but maybe it could be good enough? I mean I would
> rather see the map start in northern europe than in USA and others
> would prefer the other way.

I'd say guessing roughly the right country is good enough, and I
believe those tools generally get that right, but then the next
question is: How do we know where each country is? Is this data in OSM
yet?
If not, can it be imported from somewhere? VMAP0 for example?

--
Knut Arne Bjørndal
aka Bob Kåre
bob at cakebox.net