[OSM-talk] geolocating slippy map from IP

Dan Karran dan at karran.net
Fri Mar 16 23:58:32 GMT 2007

On 3/16/07, Knut Arne Bjørndal <bob at cakebox.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 07:29:15PM +0100, Jonas Svensson wrote:
> > Would it be possible to let the slippy map start at the position
> > defined by the users IP#? Something like
> > <http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/city.ch>. I know you rarely get very
> > close location but maybe it could be good enough? I mean I would
> > rather see the map start in northern europe than in USA and others
> > would prefer the other way.

I think it'd be nice to do that - add a local flavo(u)r to the map.

> I'd say guessing roughly the right country is good enough, and I
> believe those tools generally get that right, but then the next
> question is: How do we know where each country is? Is this data in OSM
> yet?
> If not, can it be imported from somewhere? VMAP0 for example?

The free MaxMind GeoLite Country database
<http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country> coupled with country
lat/lons <http://www.maxmind.com/app/country_latlon> should do it.
They're subject to their 'open data license' which says we'd need to
include "This product includes GeoLite data created by MaxMind,
available from http://www.maxmind.com/." on the page the data is being
used on.

It ought to be completely separate from the OSM database, so that
should reduce legal worries of mixing the license with CC.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Karran