[OSM-talk] Duplicate data nodes/segments/ways

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:26:18 GMT 2007

On 3/18/07, D Tucny <d at tucny.com> wrote:
> I've just run into a problem with duplicate data on an area I'm working on.
> I just noticed when I tried to move a node in JOSM which revealed a way
> including nodes an segments underneath those that were moved. I'm guessing
> that maybe this has come about following a failed upload from within JOSM,
> it's happened once or twice when the connection to the server as dropped. My
> question is... Is there any way to easily find this duplicate information
> and preferably clean it up too? By easily I mean without having to manually
> go through an OSM dump or try moving hundreds nodes to see if anything
> appears underneath them in JOSM...

Sometimes JOSM displays roads that aren't there. Saving to a file,
restarting and loading fixes that.

Another thing is if you download multiple times from an area where
someone else is editting. It will show the segments added by others,
but not remove segments removed by others. This will look like
duplication, even though they don't really exist. The only way to fix
that is upload your changes, restart and redownload from the server.

Have a nice day,