[OSM-talk] MBR trails

Andy Robinson Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 19 22:02:51 GMT 2007

Andy Allan wrote:
>Sent: 19 March 2007 7:31 PM
>To: Talk Openstreetmap
>Subject: [OSM-talk] MBR trails
>
>Has anyone been tagging MBR (mountain biking) trails? I've spent the
>last two weekends riding around, and I'm open to suggestions as for
>tagging. I'm referring to trails that are built specifically for
>mountain bikes and with no other purpose, generally narrow, rocky, and
>suicidal if you were walking the other way!

My suggestion would be to use the <route> tag for MBR trails rather than to
define them as ways in their own right. That way any particular trail can
cover the tagged public highways and byways as well as those sections that
have developed just for bike usage. Some something like route=MBR. You might
also think of a set of MBR: namespace tags to provide information on each
trail. Where a section is solely used for the bike then that should be
tagged as highway=cycleway with the additional MBR information.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson
Andy_J_Robinson at blueyonder.co.uk