[OSM-talk] MBR trails

Andy Armstrong andy at hexten.net
Mon Mar 19 22:28:22 GMT 2007

On 19 Mar 2007, at 22:02, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Andy Allan wrote:
>> Sent: 19 March 2007 7:31 PM
>> To: Talk Openstreetmap
>> Subject: [OSM-talk] MBR trails
>>
>> Has anyone been tagging MBR (mountain biking) trails? I've spent the
>> last two weekends riding around, and I'm open to suggestions as for
>> tagging. I'm referring to trails that are built specifically for
>> mountain bikes and with no other purpose, generally narrow, rocky,
>> and
>> suicidal if you were walking the other way!
>
> My suggestion would be to use the <route> tag for MBR trails rather
> than to
> define them as ways in their own right. That way any particular
> trail can
> cover the tagged public highways and byways as well as those
> sections that
> have developed just for bike usage. Some something like route=MBR.
> You might
> also think of a set of MBR: namespace tags to provide information
> on each
> trail. Where a section is solely used for the bike then that should be
> tagged as highway=cycleway with the additional MBR information.

ObThis: one of the things I do for my sins is run http://
singletrackworld.com/ which - if stats are to be believed - is the
busiest mountain biking site in Europe. We get around 3,000,000 hits
a day.

I've been wondering for a while if there's a story I could run
encouraging mountain bikers to get out and survey some trails.
Assuming this is a good idea and bearing in mind that many of the
visitors to the site are non-technical is there a good starting point
I could point them to?

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net