[OSM-talk] MBR trails

Styno styno at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 08:23:30 GMT 2007

I'm trying to tag tracks with the similar setup (narrow, off-road,
single-track) but with different soil composition (hard/clay/mud forrest
floor or loose sand) and had an discussion about it on IRC with Ben who
also does this kind of tagging.

Our conclusion was to tag these tracks using:
highway = cycleway
tracktype = grade1 to grade5

Where the tracktype is a proposed feature:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/grade1-5

Though we couldn't think of a better scheme, I do think tagging like
this is still a compromise because:
a) according to the tracktype definition the narrowness suggests grade5
while the hard surface (rocks) suggests grade2.
b) the tracks are rendered as cycleways (green line in osmarender) which
  might give ordinary (city) bikers the idea that they can use this track.

Perhaps we need something really indicating a way as an offroad track
using tags like: 'offroad_cycleway', 'XC' (cross country), etc.

Tracks that are also (officially) used by horses and/or pedestrians
should be tagged: highway=bridleway/footway, horse=yes, footpath=yes,
cycling=yes as defined in:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features

As a sidenote: isn't the 'official' abbreviation for mountainbiking: MTB
instead of MBR?