[OSM-talk] MBR trails

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Tue Mar 20 12:18:31 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 09:23 +0100, Styno wrote:
> I'm trying to tag tracks with the similar setup (narrow, off-road,
> single-track) but with different soil composition (hard/clay/mud forrest
> floor or loose sand) and had an discussion about it on IRC with Ben who
> also does this kind of tagging.
>
> Our conclusion was to tag these tracks using:
> highway = cycleway
> tracktype = grade1 to grade5
>
> Where the tracktype is a proposed feature:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/grade1-5
>
> Though we couldn't think of a better scheme, I do think tagging like
> this is still a compromise because:
> a) according to the tracktype definition the narrowness suggests grade5
> while the hard surface (rocks) suggests grade2.
> b) the tracks are rendered as cycleways (green line in osmarender) which
>   might give ordinary (city) bikers the idea that they can use this track.

yes. Tracks are different depending on the surface, the narrowness and
the inclination, so we need maybe some way of indicating all these
variables, because it is not the same a grade2 track like the one in the
photo above than a rocky track with a high step.

Some time ago, on a motorbikes phorum, this was suggested:
http://motostrail.com/xoops/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6391&forum=1

It's in Spanish, but you can see in the photos the idea, which is to
range them from 10 to 6 depending on the narrowness, and then, subtract
numbers depending on the difficulties in the track.

Not sure if it would work, since it's just an idea, but I thought I'd
bring it here
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>