[OSM-talk] Fun rendering / mapping bug

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sun Mar 25 17:12:54 BST 2007

Ahoy,

On Sunday 25 March 2007 02:09:58 J.D. Schmidt wrote:
> Tom Chance skrev:
> > Here be a junction of several roads that meet on a bridge over a railway:
> > http://dev.openstreetmap.org/~ojw/Tiles/tile.php/17/65418/43432.png
>
> One reason is that the bridge coming from beech street is tagged as
> highway=residential. The shading of residential (whether abutters or the
> actual highway class) clashes with secondary road. Another good reason
> to move to the landuse tags.
>
> I've retagged the two offending segments as highway=unclassified, and
> initiated a re-render of the level 12 tile. Take a look in about an
> hour, then the tile should look better.

Goodness, it looks even stranger today, though not I suspect due to your
change.

Incidentally I do make extensive use of landuse areas in St Albans where I've
mapped. I'd prefer to see abutters turned off in Tiles at Home personally.

On Sunday 25 March 2007 09:11:35 Frederik Ramm wrote:
> I know it isn't technically correct, but the usual recommendation in
> these cases is to drop the bridges and make a tunnel of the railway line.

I thought about doing this, but then thought - sod it, someone will implement
some magic hack that will fix the problem. I wouldn't want somebody to get
lost looking for a tunnel ;-)

On Saturday 24 March 2007 21:51:07 matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk wrote:
> Out of interest, does this PDF look correct?
>
>   http://dl.newtoncomputing.co.uk/question.pdf

The bridge is correct insofar as it covers those bits of road and goes over
the railway, yes. I wonder if there would be a way to map the junction so
that a renderer knows it's one big bridge that some roads criss-cross over,
rather than an X-shaped bridge?

Regards,
Tom

--
The struggle against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting
 - Kundera