[OSM-talk] Slippy map - Mapnik layer UK coastlines

Artem Pavlenko artem at mapnik.org
Mon Mar 26 21:17:16 BST 2007

On 26 Mar 2007, at 19:04, Jon Burgess wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 16:41 +0100, Artem Pavlenko wrote:
>> Steve,
>>

>> So far I was running database and all tools locally.  I'll try to
>> setup something on dev plus wiki howto so everyone could have a go.
>> Are you on IRC at all tonight ?
>>
> Should be.
>
> Would it be possible to generate the coastline shapefile as part of
> osm2pgsql?

It would be possible but not from coastline data in main database.
> With the new experimental code there is the possibility of
> adding code to convert natural=coastline ways into a shapefile.

> Some
> code may will be needed to make sure the polygon is continuous
> (probably
> by connecting the nearest pairs of disconnected nodes).

We should really fix data and amount of efforts to generate something
automatically won't pay back IMHO. And there will be always undesired
artifacts. It was my original plan but natural=coastline is too broken.

I really think we should keep coastline in a separate database and in
a suitable format.

Cheers,
Artem

> 	Jon