[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Yahoo and OSM

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Wed Mar 28 11:23:47 BST 2007

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 12:03:13PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > I'm as disappointed as anyone that the Yahoo plugin was not
> > acceptable to Yahoo. However, they have always clearly stated that
> > use of their imagery must be through the API. That goes for anyone
> > using Yahoo maps. The Yahoo plugin was an an extremley clever edge
> > case that needed to be explored .. all matters aren't understood a
> > priori. And Yahoo decided that technically this violated their
> > terms of use...
> >
> > "YOU SHALL NOT store or allow end users to store map imagery, map
> > data or geocoded
> > location information from the Yahoo! Maps APIs for any future use;"
> >
> > As picky an interpretation as this is, I take it as a good sign.
>
> No it's not a good sign, because there really is no technical
> argument to back up this arbitrary decision.
> [...]

And to expand on that: Open Source and Open Data is all about having no
arbitrary restrictions. There is a clear simple license (GPL, CC, etc.)
and if you understand that, thats it. Thats why I write Open Source
software and thats why I contribute to OSM.

If Yahoo is creating complicated rules what can be done and what can't,
and we are not even able to write them down or understand them, I'd say
that is against this spirit. And we should say: Thanks, but no thanks!

I respect the work Mikel has put into this and I am sure he and Yahoo
are sincere about this issue and want to help OSM. But unfortunately
sincerity is not enough in our world. The whole premise of OSM was that
we do our own, because we don't want to be restricted by what others
allow us to do. This whole Yahoo issue is dragging us into that
discussion, which we wanted to avoid.

We have enough of a legal mess without Yahoo already (giving the problems
of the CC stuff etc.) Lets not make this more complicated than it
absolutely has to be.

Jochen