[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Yahoo and OSM

Robert Scott lists at riscott.ukfsn.org
Wed Mar 28 15:22:11 BST 2007

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 11:23, Jochen Topf wrote:
> And to expand on that: Open Source and Open Data is all about having no
> arbitrary restrictions. There is a clear simple license (GPL, CC, etc.)
> and if you understand that, thats it. Thats why I write Open Source
> software and thats why I contribute to OSM.
>
> If Yahoo is creating complicated rules what can be done and what can't,
> and we are not even able to write them down or understand them, I'd say
> that is against this spirit. And we should say: Thanks, but no thanks!

I don't think this is the attitude to take. If our derived data were to have
bizarre restrictions forced upon it, I would agree. But these dealings with
Y! will allow us to create clearly*, liberally licensed data.

I will cite the case of RMS & friends developing most early Free software on
SunOS back in the day due to there being no Free alternative at the time.

On Wednesday 28 March 2007 11:36, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Like I said before, OSM should just rent space on a satellite for a week.
> ;)

I really like this idea. Unfortunately the major issue would be deciding on a
region to image. The fundraising would have to be extreme and reach out to
the much wider community who might not feel so altruistic about paying for a
small region of the other side of the planet to be imaged.

I am however exploring other, more gradual, ways of obtaining restriction-free
imagery with friends with pilot's licenses.

robert.

* - I think we're all rapidly learning that there is no such thing as a clear
geodata license.