[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Yahoo and OSM

Wed Mar 28 11:36:59 BST 2007

Mikel wrote:
> Use through the API is very clear. Though picky I admit, this
> decision is not technically arbitrary.

I don't see Yahoo in the bad guys in this. They didn't have to give us
access to their data. They're being ahead of the curve and supportive
of an open-data project.

As ever, though, the devs and project managers who have the great
ideas and like doing funky stuff have to cover their backs against the
b-stards in the legal department. If Aerial Photography, Inc. sue
Yahoo for being over-liberal with their imagery, the Yahoo corporate
guys will say "right, that's it, no more being friendly to open
projects", and both us and other such projects will suffer.

Like I said before, OSM should just rent space on a satellite for a week. ;)

cheers
Richard