[OSM-talk] [OSM-legal-talk] Yahoo and OSM

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Thu Mar 29 14:24:11 BST 2007

At 05:45 PM 29/03/2007, Abigail Brady wrote:
>On 3/29/07, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
>> Suddenly, all of our creativity is spent on trying to comply with
>> Yahoo's license restrictions.  Are these satellite tiles really
>> worth all that effort?
>
>In central London, hell yes.

Ditto, Sydney.  Before we were asked not to use the JOSM plugin, I got all the greater metropolitan railway network mapped, many major roads that were previously in as stretches here and there,  several complex road interchanges not practical to map on the bike, several major rivers (also strangely difficult to map on a bike) and adjusted many problems due to inner city urban city canyoning.  At the AU$160/km2 rate I was quoted for 2m resolution imagery, that would have cost AU$300,000.  As a thrifty Yorkshireman[1], I don't find that half bad.

My thanks to all those involved in bringing it about in OSM and at Yahoo.  Yahoo is a commercial company with its agenda. We are OSM with our agenda.  Compromise is necessary.  If it takes that and a bit of pain "to create and provide free geographic data such as street maps to anyone who wants them", that's fine by me.

Cheers,
Mike

[1] By way of international explanation, an English county where we think the Scots are reckless spenders.