[OSM-talk] Yahoo Aerial Imagery vs. OSM Spirit

tim (chippy) chippy2005 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 13:03:07 BST 2007

On 3/29/07, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> Really, your time is much better spent coding, suggesting a better way,
> getting better imagery...
>

> They have an agreement on using this stuff through their API in
> principle and spirit. We ran up against that, we can still use things
> like potlatch. If we can't make it happen in JOSM then c'est la vie. So
> make potlatch do what you want, or go and spend the time to build a
> 'better' relationship with someone else. We really don't need to throw
> the baby out with the bathwater.
---
Totally agree, as a community we developed a solution to make Y!
imagery in JOSM, turns out it wasn't the correct way - so back to the
drawing board we go, maybe we will find a JOSM solution, maybe another
editor will shine. Maybe some provider will donate a copy of some old
imagery that's been hanging around their server cluttering up space.
Lets get asking.

I have faith that as a community we can reach a compromise of getting
maximum use out of the Y! imagery, and keeping Y! happy with our
usage. Let's work together.

I really don't see any blame anywhere that can be attributed, in fact
there's great work that had been done by us (Even if it's not allowed
to be used), great liaising with the folks in Y! (who get points for
allowing us to explore these solutions) and even more that will be
done.

Lets get solving.