[OSM-talk] Yahoo Aerial Imagery vs. OSM Spirit

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Fri Mar 30 10:06:00 BST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 04:43:22PM +0100, SteveC wrote:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > But gifts can also do damage. On the one hand, we risk becoming
> > influenced (or should I even sy corrupted) in or thinking by the very
> > "intellectual property/licensing/corporate attitude" that was one
> > reason to start OSM. Call it political decision-making or whatever -
> > the fact that their data is there and they have nothing against our
> > tracing OSM data from the satellite/aerial imagery, but they want to
> > tell us exactly that one way of doing it is ok and other way is not.
>
> What makes you think yahoo care about any of this? Their hands are tied
> by the agreement(s) made with their imagery providers. It's not like
> Yahoo own this stuff and can do what they like.

But isn't that the core of the problem? What we think doesn't matter,
what Yahoo thinks doesn't matter. What matters it what their upstream
provider(s) thinks of all of this. Because they have the rights.

Do we have a legally binding paper from Yahoo that tells us what we can
do? Does Yahoo in that paper also guarantee us that they have the right
to give us those rights? So that if their upstream sues us we can point
at Yahoo and say: Not our fault, we were sure we were allowed to do
this.

No, we don't. We have Mikel telling us that somebody at Yahoo told him
this is ok and this isn't. Sorry, but thats not enough to go on on! We
are talking here about a multi-billion dollar business here, they eat
guys like us for lunch. Are we sure we want to accept all this based on
some emails?

When this was announced a few months back, I thought, well, they need
some time to lock down the agreement and publish it properly. So give
them the time, we'll get it at some point. But a proper agreement hasn't
been coming and I am not sure any more that it ever will. We should not
risk our project on something like this.

Jochen