[OSM-talk] Mapnik has busstops

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu May 3 06:39:43 BST 2007

Yesterday on the #osm IRC channel, Ben exclaimed: Mapnik has
busstops! And indeed, cute little buses show up as symbols on
either side of the way, down at the deeper zoom levels.

Why had neither of us noticed this before?  Because when we get
halfway down to that zoom level in the Mapnik layer, we're met
with "more OSM coming soon", and then we back out and don't go in
any deeper.  In fact, we don't go back to Mapnik at all.  Instead
we use the Osmarender layer from Tiles at home, where the delay from
edit to web presentation can be hours instead of weeks and months.

Now Tiles at home might have a melt-down over the full disk, but I
guess that can be fixed in the next few days.  The only real
threat to Tiles at home is if Mapnik would become fast.  And that's
exactly what's happening. The Mapnik & tile engine by Schuyler
Erle and Christopher Schmidt is updated on the same day that the
new planet.osm becomes available, and tiles are generated on
demand (and then cached) in a matter of seconds.  You just zoom
in, and the tiles appear.  No more "coming soon"!  This
presentation is available at http://labs.metacarta.com/osm/

This is very different from the Mapnik tile engine at
www.openstreetmap.org, where requests for rendering are placed on
demand, but nobody knows when these requests will be served.
Come back an hour later or next week, and your new tiles might be
there, or maybe not.

I don't know how it works.  Perhaps those who know can explain.
All I know is that my new roads from the last weeks can be seen
"in Mapnik" on labs.metacarta, but not yet on www.openstreetmap.

The Mapnik renderer (on both sites) uses some black magic for
coastlines.  It doesn't read the coastlines that are now getting
imported into the OSM database.  It provides correct coastlines at
the outer zoom levels, but as you zoom in it shifts to another
system that is completely broken.  Entire towns are found in the
middle of a blue sea.  This bug in the Mapnik renderer might be
the last hope for the Tiles at home subproject.  If Mapnik gets
coastlines right and planet.osm is dumped on a daily basis rather
than weekly, Tiles at home might go the way of the dinosaurs.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)