[OSM-talk] riverbanks, way, segs, corrruption, user experience, traction.

Robert Hart bathterror at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:29:20 BST 2007

On 03/05/07, lewispusey <lewispusey at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Deleting and redrawing the ways will require days more of work and since I
> redrew them once; that was several more days, and the original drawing then
> alsotook days. I think this points to a problem, losing original information
> and time consuming redraws for no real reason (other than the first pass was
> not right?).

it really can't be all that bad. You delete the ways, but still have
all the segments left over. A few hours perhaps for a really long
river - but why were you trying to do all that at once without testing
things out on a small section? If you try and run before you can walk,
then problems are fairly likely.

There is always going to be a learning curve with something like this
- so be patient. You'll be mapping like a pro in no time.

>      I just spent many hours redrawing a large lake that was duplicated or
> broken on upload repeatedly. For something that I do for free on my spare
> time that level of frustration is not realy acceptable. I'm not saying this
> to aggravate anyone, simply: if you want non-commercial contribution
> something needs to be a lot more editor friendly soon from an individual
> editing perspective. Trial and error (only partly my problem as I did do my

Please remember that the people creating the software are also doing
it for "free in their spare time". It is getting better all the time
too, and you can help with that too, by making it clear specifically
what sorts of problems you are having, and how you think things could
be improved. Ranting about things "not being acceptable" isn't going
to get you far though.

Rob

--
Robert Hart