[OSM-talk] Karlsruhe area (was Black Forest)

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu May 3 17:11:46 BST 2007

>Meanwhile there are at least two people mapping in the Freiburg area.
>I'm in Karlsruhe, which is at the northmost beginning of the black
>forest. It takes 30' by train to get to Bad Herrenalb or even Baden
>Baden.

Maybe the Karlsruhe area would be the best place, as there seem to be
quite a few OSM people there already and it would be good to meet
everyone.

What's the north end of the Black Forest like, scenically, by the way? Is
it similar to the south? My memories of the Freiburg area were of forested
mountains with steep sided valleys, and peaks at around 1000-1500 metres.

That's something I was trying to find out on the internet by the way. If
you're into walking, it's hard enough finding a proprietary map of an area
showing contours and paths, never mind a free map... hence there's an
obvious opening for OSM there :-) I had the same problem a year or two ago
when I was trying to find out walking maps of parts of Canada and the USA.

What time of year would be best? I can do

* late July (16th onwards)
* all of August
* late September (15th onwards)

Nick