[OSM-talk] dev server: the end is nigh!

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:59:03 BST 2007

> The long-time average is over 50%. A normally running server would
> average 1% "iowait", for example our tile server:

Is there a ps listing indicating what is actually getting stuck in D
state? Is it the uploads, downloads, what?
> How can we solve the problem? I could image that more RAM would allow
> more caching and thus less disk I/O. A second disk and an intelligent
> way of distributing requests to the tile repository (maybe a simple
> RAID-0) could also help, as could faster disks. But I am (a) not a
> hardware expert and (b) too far away, so I hope that Nick Hill has an
> idea and just tells us what is needed, and then we can go look for
> resources.

What kind of disks does it have (IDE/SATA/SCSI?). I mean, something
like RAID-0 (striped) can double throughout for both reading and
writing. Check the existing disks are on seperate ontrollers, all that
kind of thing.

I guess the openlayers bug probably has an effect too...

Have a nice day,