[OSM-talk] Announcing name searches for OSM

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue May 8 12:05:45 BST 2007

Absolutely. That's exactly what I am trying to achieve.

What I hadn't realised is that there was more than one possibility. Now I know, I will implement it (for the planet dump this week).

> Similarly, if the same rule is applied to
> consonants, you will have that Hannover (German spelling) =
> Hanover (English spelling) and Gdańsk = Gdansk.

I don't think Köln and Cologne would happen automatically :-) But this is already supported in principle by name:en=Cologne tags, which I already recognise and index. Hannover would fall into that category. e.g. http://www.frankieandshadow.com/osm/?find=An+Gearasdan

Gdansk would work by equivalence (now I know about ń),though one might consider that is serendipity.

I wonder where to stop though. Is it helpful to equivalence letters in russian, e.g. Moskva for Москва (if that is what i would be) or at that point simply rely on name:en=Moscow

David