[OSM-talk] OSM point of interest editor

Nick Whitelegg nick at hogweed.org
Fri May 11 10:39:43 BST 2007

Following up on the "how to survey landscape features" discussion earlier in
the week, I now have an initial version of a point of interest editor
available at:

http://www.free-map.org.uk/freemap/edit.php

It uses the OpenLayers vector layer and is basically the same application as
the "osmajax" editor mentioned a few weeks ago, but with editing restricted
to areas (woods, lakes etc) and points of interest (nodes with tags other
than 'created_by').

With the POI editor you can draw polygons (woods, lakes etc) and add new
points of interest on top of a background map which can be either New Popular
Edition, Freemap or tiles at home. At the moment it uses a high level
abstraction for tags, so that rather than adding tags, people specify that
it's a "wood" or a "lake" or a "farm" or a "pub". Full tag editing will come
later.

The UI is rather rough and ready at the moment as it's only a prototype, but I
hope it'll go some way towards sorting out the problems with surveying stuff
in the countryside. Hopefully it'll be in a good state to demo at the Lake
District event and be useful for that event.

UI considerations aside (I haven't put much effort in this area yet) any other
feedback, requested features etc, welcome.

Nick