[OSM-talk] Sat nav driver's car hit by train

Robert T Wyatt robert.wyatt at mail.utexas.edu
Mon May 14 19:43:56 BST 2007

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
> Dan Moore wrote:
>> map or user error? you decide...
>>
>> "I thought it was a dead end at first and then there was a little sign saying, if the light is green, open the gates and drive through. So I opened the gate, drove forward, closed the gate behind me and then went to go and open the gate in front of me. Then I heard this train..."
>>
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/6646331.stm
>>
>> dan
>
> wow, people are stupid...
>
> how about
> open both gates
> run car across the tracks to the other (safe) side
> close both gates

It was pretty absent-minded at least; that is, ignoring the posted
signs. But it might have been difficult to tell with no lighting, in a
downpour, that she was on the tracks. She probably was ignoring the
directional and cautionary signs since that's not how she was
navigating (in her thinking) and on such a narrow road, it may have
been all she could do to keep it between the ditches.

Or maybe she was listening to the little voice that told to her to
'pay no attention to the slowly revolving blue-green planet behind
your windscreen.' (sorry for the rip-off dan.)

Maybe it has become a form of escapism, this satnav business. Well, if
they ever make it illegal for drivers, there will still be virtual
reality goggle's....

Those heads up displays are going to sell like hotcakes.