[OSM-talk] Lough Neagh

Jonathan McDowell noodles at earth.li
Tue May 15 12:02:26 BST 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 07:46:17PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> > Done. I've ensured water is on the right of the segments and tagged
> > the way "name=Lough Neagh, natural=lake, source=landsat" which will
> > hopefully do the right thing.
>
> "natural=lake" is not a common tag; for lakes, "natural=water" is
> normally used.

It's listed in the Mapnik osm.xml in SVN, and Tiles at Home seems to
render it fine.

> The "water on the right" rule is currently only applicable to
> "natural=coastline" rendering in tiles at home. "natural=water" ways are
> not yet evaluated that way, so that rendering will be broken in Mapnik
> and tiles at home if all of the lake coastline is not one way.

The entire coastline of the lake is a single way.

> tiles at home will soon switch over to "water on the right" rule for lakes
> (and forests, and other stuff) as well, allowing the lake coastline to
> be split in any number of connected fragments as long as water is on the
> right, but you will achieve the best "cross-renderer" results if you
> make the whole coastline one single way (while not going into four-digit
> numbers of segments as this threatens to break things elsewhere).

Ah. Now that might be a problem. It's just over 1000 segments IIRC.
What will this break?

> If you want immediate results with today's tiles at home and a split
> coastline, I suggest to use "natural=coastline" which is not 100%
> correct but will give you a nice rendering.

It seems to be fine with the single way from what I can tell.

J.

--
Avoid temporary variables and strange women.