[OSM-talk] Coastline upload improvements

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Sat May 19 09:07:40 BST 2007

 From experience:

At 12:47 AM 19/05/2007, Lars Aronsson wrote:

>As some have heard, I'm in the process of improving Ojw's script
>for uploading coastlines.  In connection with this, I have some
>questions.
>
>>From previously uploaded coastlines, I have removed tags from
>nodes and line segments, to get a cleaner rendering in Maplint.
>Does this violate any obligation to attribute the source of
>coastline data?

I'd suggest leaving them there?  It makes it easier for a script to go in and remove such data as it can simply delete a way without having to remember what nodes and tags it has.  It is much easier to remove and replace if better local alignment values are found than trying to work on the existing version. I'd also predict that multiple coastlines of different resolutions and sources will be eventually stored in a separate database.  Dealing with them mixed with other data is  a pain in the ... .

>The existing coast_upload.pl script produces a log.txt file in the
>current working directory.  Does anybody use this log file for
>anything?

No.

>In the coast_upload.pl script, there are calls to a statistics
>URL at almien.co.uk, that seems to be broken.  Is there any need
>for such statistics, or should this call simply be removed?

Not used it.

Mike