[OSM-talk] Warning : Lint storm ahead !

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:05:48 BST 2007

On 5/28/07, Nic Roets <nroets at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before the rails port, it happened frequently (to me at least) that
> JOSM and the Applet asked for an object (node / segment / way to be
> created) and although it didn't that object was nonetheless created by
> the DB. I then restarted the upload (or recreated the node) and hence
> another object was created.
>
> This problem is now much worse under rails : I seems to me that
> potlatch automatically retries, because there are now HEAPs and HEAPs
> (or loads or swarms) of lint in the spot I edited yesterday.

Possibly an unvoidable effect of a REST API, there's no way for the
server to detect whether the client actually recieved the response (if
the client didn't the transaction should be rolled back).

> The solution would be to identify objects not by the MySQL assigned
> object ID, but instead by a concatenation of a unique client-side
> session number (assigned by MySQL) and a new object counter maintained
> by that client side app.

Seems like a hacky workaround, but possibly the best you can do while
working through a webserver...

Have a nice day,