[OSM-talk] Linuxtag demonstration down - Re: handover of tile.openstreetmap.org

Nick Hill nick at nickhill.co.uk
Wed May 30 14:54:18 BST 2007

Hi Jon

I looked at apache2.conf.

# prefork MPM
# StartServers ......... number of server processes to start
# MinSpareServers ...... minimum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxSpareServers ...... maximum number of server processes which are kept spare
# MaxClients ........... maximum number of server processes allowed to start
# MaxRequestsPerChild .. maximum number of requests a server process serves
<IfModule prefork.c>
StartServers        10
MinSpareServers     10
MaxSpareServers     20
MaxClients          60
MaxRequestsPerChild  100
</IfModule>

I reckon changing maxclients to 20 may help.

With the settings above, 60 apache processes could start. We could have 40
processes being launched then being immediately killed as the load shoots up and
down. This can be very resource intensive. Apache tends to queue http requests
anyway until an http process can handle them.