[OSM-talk] Linuxtag demonstration down - Re: handover of tile.openstreetmap.org

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed May 30 15:09:59 BST 2007

Feel free to change those numbers. You probably have more experience
at optimising web server settings than I do.

I know that we do get many short spikes of active processes when we
are doing the on-line tile rendering. I think we often get 30+
processes getting launched as we spend a couple of seconds rendering
new tiles. Just leave "vmstat 5" or similar running for a while on
tile and you should see what I mean. I'm not sure if this is lots of
processes all wanting to do rendering or just some single threading in
mod_ruby causing requests to back up.

It would be good if we could do something to smooth this out although
I think things have been running OK the past week that the online
rendering has been enabled. The munin cpu stats don't look much
different over the past week compared to previous.

One easy knob to tweak is the max active requests before disabling
online rendering and just returning a 404 tile in cat_tile.rb (just a
hard coded number, currently 64 if I remember correctly).

My previous experience was that if you edit
/home/www/tile/ruby/cat_tile.rb then you should restart the web server
otherwise I think mod_ruby can get confused.

  Jon

--
    Jon