[OSM-talk] Fetch whole relation when parts of it are in bbox

Jannis Achstetter krippi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 12:37:56 GMT 2007

Hello there,

I've got a problem with one specific tile:
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=49.974240779456515&lon=9.44955088920595&zoom=12&layers=0B00F000

You see that "inverted" tile right in the middle? This is actually not a
bug in osmarender but in the API as far as I can see. I looked at the
.osm-file it gets from the server and if I were the renderer I would
have drawn it pretty the same as you can see this now. The problem is:
We do have a multipolygon-relation here with the outer area (more than
1000 nodes) and some smaller areas which are no forests. Now I ask the
API to give me the area and it does only return the smaller sub-areas,
not the outer one (meaning: only a part of the relation). So, how do I
know that these are no forests?
Wouldn't it be good if the server would give me the whole relation and
not only the parts that are inside the bbox? Would this introduce any
problems for osmarender or other software?
Technically I think this will not be a too huge problem since the server
returns a whole way when only a part of it is inside the requested bbox,
so why can't we do the same with relations?

Jannis