[OSM-talk] Germany and the Cycle Map

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Sun Nov 4 10:21:28 GMT 2007

> Message: 8
> Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:34:24 +0100 (CET)
> From: "Karl Eichwalder" <ke at gnu.franken.de>
> Subject: [OSM-talk] Germany and the Cycle Map
> To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>
> They are all cheating, these Germans ;)
>
> AFAIK, National Cycle Routes do not exist in Germany.  Independently
> from the German administration, a cycle club (ADFC) intends to
> establish a network called "D-Netz":
>
> http://deutschland-tourismus.de/radfahren/velo_vision_d_netz.htm
>
> Do German mappers tag the proposed and partially started "D-Netz" as
> "ncn"?
>
> Here in Germany we have quite some touristic rotes.  For more info, see
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Radfernwege_in_Deutschland .
> I would like to ask you to tag these route as "tcn" (t = tourism) and
> to ask Andy to colour these t-routes nicely.  I'd like to see a blueish
> green ;)
>
> I just started with the "F?nf-Fl?sse-Radweg" (5 Rivers Cycleway) in
> Nuremberg...

I am currently implement cycle routes using the 'route' relation method and
am very pleased with the opportunities it creates. I am still using ncn_ref,
rcn_ref etc but am adding relationships as well.

I would encourage Andy to start rendering both approaches so we can start
deprecating ncx_ref in due course. JOSM needs to get a bit more relationship
friendly, but that will I am sure be done soon. I have some suggestions on
that which I will post.

What I like about the relationship is that one can add all sorts of other
shared tags, for example a 'wikipedia' tag. Some routes have colours 'follow
the yellow route' and it could accommodate that as well.

I started using routes for long distance footpaths for which there was no
recognised tag.

Peter